Station10 was the codename for Bletchley Park, the home of the WW2 code breakers. We might not have a top-secret base (…we’re based in Farringdon!), but like them, we decode vast amounts of data to crack seemingly impossible problems.
We are looking for a dynamic Principal Data Engineer to join our growing team, to play an important part in our fast-paced and collaborative environment. The successful candidate will work across multiple clients focused on leading the development of data products and services, helping integrate them into business environments. There will be a particular focus on ingesting, transforming, and supporting data processes using a variety of third-party tools. You will have a fantastic opportunity to take a leading role in delivering results for multiple enterprises, playing a vital role in the growth and strategic direction of our company.
- Lead data engineering projects in collaboration with the specialist teams/PM
- Work alongside other specialism leads in the business to develop and deliver cross-
functional services to deliver value for clients
- Reporting to our Delivery Director, you will help define the roadmap and priorities for
the Data Engineering Team in alignment with the company strategy.
- Articulate the strategic and commercial value of Station10’s data engineering function to
support business development activities, including client pitches, estimating
briefs/scope and marketing activities.
- Ownership of process to deliver accurate scoping of data engineering projects to ensure
projects are delivered with the right resources, to scope, budget and deadlines.
- Apply advanced data integration methods to massive data sets in order to create solutions which can be utilised in descriptive, diagnostic, predictive and prescriptive analytics.
- Design and develop business solutions using a range of tools (Alteryx, Snowflake, Databases in cloud environments etc.)
- Work with ETL tools to ingest and transform data sets from a variety of data sources
- Use of Python or Java to build cloud-based data pipelines
- Mentoring more junior data engineers, encouraging team-wide diffusion of knowledge
and being a source of technical best practices
- Coach, mentor and manage the Data Engineering team, developing their skills and identifying opportunities for their career development.
- Playing a vital role in technical adoption of new techniques across all the departments within the organisation
- Learn multiple languages and latest trends to a professional level and transferring that knowledge across the team
- Present and depict complex techniques and architectures in simple, engaging, and easy to understand business terms to a diverse group of stakeholders
- Build strong relationships with client stakeholders, ensuring that Station10 successfully delivers operational solutions and client service excellence
- Be an advocate for integrity and trust in all outputs from the team with an unwavering commitment to “doing the right thing”
Experience and Qualifications:
- 5+ years of experience in a similar data engineering or developer role
- Minimum 2:1 undergraduate degree in Computer Science or related field
- Able to write production level code – well-written and explainable
- Knowledge of Git version control
- Experience reviewing code and managing PRs
- Demonstrable experience working with APIs
- Hands on experience with cloud platforms (GCP, AWS, Azure) essential
- Hands on experience with the Azure Data ecosystem, essentially with Azure Databricks,
Data Factory, Data Lake, and Synapse
- Demonstrable track record of dealing well with ambiguity, prioritising needs, and
delivering results in a dynamic environment
- Strong analytical, organisational, and time management skills as well as an attention to
- Excellent written and verbal communication, commercial awareness and consultancy
- Excellent interpersonal skills – exceptional relationship building skills both with direct
team members and stakeholders; with an ability to explain complex technical problems
to a business audience in a succinct and accessible form
- Passion for technology and learning new skills and technologies
- Company Bonus scheme and pension matching
- Excellent development programs with dedicated training budgets
- 25 days holiday – with additional holidays added based on length of service
- Regular staff social activities and Summer Away Day
- Flexible working hybrid (part home-based and office-based) – 1 day in the office and 4
from wherever you like
- Great office location – based in the heart of Farringdon
- Access to the EAP (Employee Assistance Programme) 24/7 – offers confidential advice
for health, legal & bereavement support and loads more
- Discounted gym access
- Very strong competence in SQL and database design with a solid understanding of data architectures (e.g. Databases, data lakes)
- Strong competence in Python (or equivalent language) and competence in another programming language (such as NodeJS, Scala, Java, C, R etc.) beneficial
- Data for Social Good programmes
- Cycle to work scheme
- Private Medical Insurance
- Life Cover
- Pension scheme
Being part of a growing team provides a fantastic opportunity for both personal development and career advancement.
Here at Station10, we’ve always believed that understanding data means understanding people. For the last ten years, we’ve been translating data into meaningful insights for our customers. We truly believe that a diverse & inclusive environment improves us as a team and we foster an environment where all ideas are welcomed and encouraged. We value differences of opinions and strive to challenge ourselves continuously to provide the best industry leading solutions for our clients as well as create the best environment to work in.
This role plays an important part in our growth plan and we look forward to welcoming the right candidate into the Station10 family.